Saturday, May 2, 2009

Where have all the old gamers gone?


I Read some interesting info about gaming today, where they say that hardcore gaming is dying. The younger gamers are opting for softer, more family friendly gaming and retro gaming. But who said that retro gaming isn't hardcore?

I refuse to believe that the consoles that you and i grew up with cannot be classed as hardcore gaming. We can still spend 500 hours on a single game, jsut liekany modern MMORPG or First Person Shooter. I love collecting old games and consoles, I have in my possession at the moment, a Nintendo 64, a PSone and a PS2, along with a game boy pocket, colour and a gameboy advance SP. I am aiming to collect a stack more games for my N64 and PSone and acquire a NES and SNES sometime in the near future. Games like super mario and 007 golden eye have as much, if not more, hardcore gaming worth than the newer consoles. You know you're a hardcore gamer when you can beat super mario blindfolded xD. To play and beat older games that we grew up with is to me, the most hardcore kind of gaming there is. As much as i love the new consoles and the AMAZING games that are coming out, I don't think you can call yourself a hardcore gamer without being dedicated to retro gaming also.

Thoughts?
/endrant//.

4 comments:

  1. love this particular entry, nathan. i can relate. for me, retro gaming brings back a sense of nostalgia of innocent good times after (and sometimes before) school with the pressure of having to do your homework at the back of your mind. the long hot days where its too hot to go outside. the hours of frustration of trying to beat the boss at the end of the game.

    i found out my saturn broke down whilst it was in the possession of the stadium all these months. im going to buy one tomorrow - for 50 bucks! awesome price considering they're as rare as hens teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i reckon, where did you manage to score that bargain from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi nice blog!
    I think that games have and will always ebb and flow to the tastes of the consumer. The average age of gamers is something like 30+. What do most 30+ plus people have going on in there lives?? Marriage and starting families - hence family games. But when the little ones are in bed - GTA comes out Leisure Suit Larry gets a new life (talk about retro!) and by the way what is Hardcore Gaming? Is playing WoW for 14 hours a day on the weekend and Raiding 3 nights a week 7 - 11 hardcore? Or is playing that same game for 4 weeks in 2 hour blocks around the rest of life hardcore?
    As for the 'family' versus 'other' game types I play the Lego games because they are fun but I love a good horror shooter as well. I don't see them any different - they amuse me and I enjoy them... that's what I pay my money for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hardcore is apparently classified as both those things you mentioned. I still think that retro is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete